Roasted Beet Soup
6 medium beets 6
2 tbsp Lactantia Butter 30 ml
½ cup finely diced shallots 125 ml
1 celery stalk, finely chopped 1
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped 1
1 potato, peeled and finely chopped 1
3 cups chicken stock 750 ml
½ tsp dried thyme leaves 2.5 ml
½ tsp caraway seeds 2.5 ml
½ cup Beatrice Half and Half 125 ml
1 tsp fresh lemon juice 5 ml
Active Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time 20 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut tops
and bottoms off beets. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake
for about 1 hour or until beets are soft. Unwrap, allow
to cool slightly. Peel beets and coarsely cube.
2. In a medium pot melt butter over medium heat. Add
shallots and cook 5 minutes. Add celery, carrot and
potato and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Crush caraway seeds in a mortar and pestle or with
side of a large knife and add to pot. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Add roasted beets, chicken stock and thyme leaves.
Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile add lemon juice to cream and allow to sit
for 10 minutes.
6. Remove soup from heat. Add cream mixture. Using a
food processor or hand-held blender process until smooth.
Adjust seasoning to taste.
7. Soup can be served hot, warm or cold.