Bacon And Potato Chowder
2 tbsp Lactantia Butter 30 ml
2 medium onions, chopped 2
8 cups potatoes, peeled and diced 2 L
10 slices cooked bacon, cut into pieces 10 slices
5 cups chicken stock 1.25 L
½ tsp thyme leaves 2.5 ml
½ tsp pepper 2.5 ml
1 cup Beatrice Light Cream 250 ml
¼ - ½ cup Beatrice Light Sour Cream 60-125 ml
Active Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan
over medium heat melt butter. Add onions and cook until
soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes and
continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stir occasionally.
2. Add stock, thyme, pepper and bacon. Stock should
just cover potato mixture. Add more stock if necessary.
Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes
are well done.
3. Mash cooked mixture with back of a large spoon or
with a potato masher to achieve a slightly chunky consistency.
Release of starch from potatoes will also help to thicken
4. Add cream and sour cream stir well until heated through.
5. Leftover soup should be stored covered in the refrigerator.CUSTOMIZE THE RECIPE
1. Replace chicken stock with vegetable stock.
2. Recipe easily doubled or halved.
3. Replace butter with margarine.
4. Add 1 cup (250 ml) of corn kernels in the last 5-10
minutes of cooking potato mixture.