Cream of Tomato Soup
3 cups Diced canned tomatoes
1 cup Onion, diced 250 ml
1 tbsp Lactantia Butter 15 ml
3 cups Vegetable broth 750 ml
½ cup Long grain rice (not instant rice) 125 ml
½ tsp Dried thyme leaves 2.5 ml
½ tsp Black pepper 2.5 ml
1 tsp Red wine vinegar 5 ml
1 tbsp White sugar (optional) 15 ml
½ cup Beatrice Half and Half 125 ml
Active Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1. In a large
heavy bottom saucepot all ingredients except Half and
2. Bring to a boil over high heat stirring often. Reduce
heat, cover and let simmer about 30 minutes until onions
are soft and rice is cooked. Remove from heat.
3. Using a hand-held blender or in batches in a food processor
or blender process soup until smooth.
4. Add cream, return to low heat and stirring constantly
until heated through but not boiling.For the adventurous:
1. Replace butternut squash with your favourite squash
or a combination.
2. Omit apple if desired.
3. Replace chicken stock with vegetable stock for a vegetarian